Having already completed the coastal part of the Great Taste Tasman Trail in 2015, it may be surprising to find 5Men revisiting this ride so soon afterwards. But with reports that the opening of the Spooner’s Tunnel (NZ’s longest cycle tunnel, at 1.4 km) opening up the interior part of the trail the opporunity to complete the full 175 km loop was too good to miss.
So we are off again in early November for more riding in the sunshine of Nelson/Tasman.
The planned itinerary is:
- Day 1: Nelson Airport to Mapua
- Revisiting Day 1 of our original ride
- A quiet beer on the wharf at Mapua the main attraction
- Day 2: Mapua to Kaiterteri
- Repeat of the first part of Day 2 ride from 2015
- Stopover at Kaiteriteri rather than returning to Mapua
- Day 3: Kaiterirteri to Wakefied
- Originally planned to ride through the Motueka River Valley and Spooner’s Tunnel to Wakefield (where accommodation is booked)
- Unfortunately the Tunnel is closed for repair so alternate routes are being considered
- Back via Coastal route to Richmond, then to Wakefield
- Via Neudorf Road and Moutere Highway to Richmond, then Wakefield
- Via Moutere Highway
- Day 4: Wakefield to Nelson Airport via Brightwater and Richmond
- A gentle and largely flat ride back to the airport
Long range forecast is promising – and no reports of electric fences along the route . . .